My name is Indre Hilara. I am a Glasgow based photographer. Over the years I have lived in Reykjavik, Madrid and Marijampole. That is one of the reasons why my projects explore topics of home, belonging and inner well being.
I remember taking my very first photograph at the age of seven. Since then, photography has been a big part of every day. I started photographing on film, then digital and now I could take images with the shoebox(light-sealed one). And I am a big believer that, the photographer takes photographs and not the tool. But, we can discuss that.
As much as I like taking photographs, I am interested in the concept of photography. That is why I am so proud of being a volunteer in Street Level Photoworks where I can have discussions with gallery visitors and members.
Documentary, storytelling and portraiture are my strength. I am dyslexic (so, apologies for typos) that is why I did my masters in Communication Design - Photography, to master the art of storytelling with my photography rather than text. I could say that my work is quite dark, but that is just the way to bring the spotlight on what is important and eliminate the distractions.
So, this is just a little bit about me. If you read this all - say hi. I love when people say hi!
2008 - 2012 Breidholt College, Department of Art.
01.2013 - 05. 2013 The Reykjavik School of Visual Arts.
08. 2013 - 05. 2017 Icelandic Academy of Arts. Product Design.
09. 2014 - 01. 2015 Escuela Superior De Diseño De Madrid. Erasmus exchange student.
08. 2017 - 01. 2019 Glasgow School of Art. Masters Degree in Photography.
09. 2019 - First and third prize - The FLOW Photofest competition 2019.
05. 06. 2015 - 06 06. 2015 Left and forgotten. Photographs. Hiljaisuus-festivaali: Kittilä, Finland.
27. 03. 2016 - 27.04 2016 Up Above As Down Below and Ahead As Behind. Photographs.Preb: Reykjavik, Iceland.
13. 05. 2017 - 21. 05. 2017 Macro-Landscapes. Hafnarhúsið: Reykjavik, Iceland.
12. 01. 2019 - 24. 02. 2019 BLUE. Thistle Gallery. Glasgow, Scotland.
31. 05. 2019 - 09. 06. 2019 Glasgow School of Art Degree Show. Glasgow, Scotland.
06. 09. 2019 - 28. 09. 2019 BORDERS: FLOW Photofest 2019 Open Competition. Inverness, Scotland
12. 09. 2019 - 24. 11. 2019 Street Level Open 2019. Glasgow, Scotland.
- Work Experience
01. 12. 2015 - 04 12. 2015 Photographer Jouni Ihalainen assistant.
15. 02 - 15. 04. 2016 Toad ́s Caravan. A studio assistant.
15. 01. 2018 - 4. 04.2018 Photographer James Pfaff assistant for Alex & me show.
01. 06. 2016 - Now Make Shorty Productions. A filming assistant.
01. 06. 2016 - Now Alistair Devine. A photographer assistant.
10. 04. 2019 - Now Volunteer in Street Level Photoworks.